As a service to member colleges, DigiTex offers membership in the State Authorization Network (SAN) of the WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies (WCET). SAN provides information, training, webinars, meetings, and other resources and activities to help colleges comply with the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and other federal regulations and policies related to distance education. DigiTex pays SAN an annual membership fee of $8,000 and extends the resources from the organization to its member colleges at no cost. This consortial agreement saves Texas public community colleges $220,000 annually on SAN membership fees.
Membership in SAN does not include participation in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement that governs Texas institutions. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) is the state portal agency for SARA. Any accredited, postsecondary institution with its principal campus or central administrative unit domiciled in Texas is eligible to apply. Click here for more information on the THECB’s application and fee process for SARA participation.
Resources Available through SAN
The State Authorization Network exists to help its members navigate the challenging waters of state authorization compliance more efficiently and effectively. To that end, the SAN portal features numerous resources to help you stay informed with timely updates. Among the many useful resources, you will find the following:
- Newcomer onboarding training to acquaint you with the many resources available through SAN
- Monthly coordinator calls featuring expert discussions of different state authorization topics, as well as updates on recent legislative changes
- Articles, blog posts, and white papers on various topics including military students and professional licensure requirements, among many others
- eNewsletters containing updates regarding recent legislative changes to state authorization requirements, links to training opportunities, and more
- Recordings of podcasts and webinars addressing individual subjects related to compliance
- Access to the MIX/SAN Discussion boards for networking with other compliance professionals and asking your own questions
In addition, membership in SAN provides access to reduced registration rates for many training and workshop opportunities.
Many of these resources are available to SAN members only. DigiTex members can contact Heather Walker for logon information to the SAN member portal.
State Authorization FAQs
For additional questions about our consortial membership in SAN and how it can benefit you and your institution, please see our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Help Spread the Word!
For a brief, visual explanation of the benefits of SAN and its resources, please see our infographic, and feel free to share it widely with other interested colleagues at your institution.